INTERVIEW with LEA CARTER, author of THE SILVER SAGAS

Author Lea Carter was knocked unconscious when she was thrown from a horse, and her experiences while she was knocked out led to the stories we now call the Silver Sagas. Today on the Book Pound, we're pleased to present an interview with Lea Carter.

What was it like to grow up in such a large family? Do any of your siblings like reading and writing as much as you do?
It was amazing to be part of such a diverse but connected group. I listened to every kind of music growing up, from oldies to country and opera. I had the opportunity to watch, read, and hear classic stories as told by Hollywood greats and my siblings. In fact, most of my siblings are living real life fairy tales. My upbringing definitely had an enormous impact on my writing.

What do you think are the major differences between writing novels and short stories? Do you prefer writing one over the other? 
For me, a short story tends to be an exercise in frustration. Instead of being able to tell the whole story, I can only slice a little off the top. Novels, on the other hand, have plenty of room for expansion and explanation.

How did you get into writing? 
I don't remember deciding to be a writer, actually. I've always intended to be one. If I had to pick a motivation, however, I would say that I began writing because I wanted to be able to create for others the experiences I have had as a reader.

Do you write every day? Is it tough to stay motivated sometimes? 
No, I don't write every day. As a self-published author, I have a lot of research to do on marketing, etc. And yes, there are days when I just seem to need to do anything but write. I get bogged down with details, worrying about staying within the rules of the series Silver Sagas.

What are you working on right now? 
I'm in the middle of a few different things at the moment, both writing and publishing. Silver Majesty (Book 2) is most of the way through a Goodreads giveaway. Troubled Skies (Book 4) is in the pre-Kindle editing phase and Silver Verity (Book 3) is in the final editing pre-print phase. Meanwhile I'm trying to get Silver Pen (Book 5) past the first couple of chapters. It's not hard to keep busy!

Is there anything else you'd like to say to Book Pound readers? 
Choose your entertainment wisely. Whether a book was written centuries ago or the ink is still wet, do your best to choose that which will uplift and even educate you where possible. The same holds true for all forms of entertainment - books, music, movies, games, etc.

You can find Lea at her blog, on Facebook, or via email.

Comments

Popular Posts